Mumbai: World Series Hockey has announced a power packed technical committee consisting of the following members.
- Dennis Meredith: Technical Director of WSH, has been responsible for multiple Olympic Games, Hockey World Cups, Champion Trophies, Commonwealth Games and Champions Challenges during his tenure with the FIH.
- Joaquim Carvolho: Arjuna Award winning former coach and player of India
- Ashish Balal: Former Captain and recognized as one of the best goalkeepers of India
- Dr MP Ganesh: Arjuna Award winning Former Coach and Captain of India
- Peter Von Reth: Former Chairman of the FIH Umpiring Committee, has worked on multiple Olympic Games and Hockey World Cups as Umpire and Umpire Manager
- Shahbaz Ahmed: World Cup winning captain of Pakistan, recognized as one of the best forwards in the history of the game
- Zafar Iqbal: Olympic Gold Medalist and former Captain, has also served as the Chief National Coach for India
The Technical Committee will take charge of four key parameters for WSH - the establishment of rules and regulations governing the WSH; establishing the WSH code of conduct for players, tournament officials and franchise owners; establishing guidelines for offences and penalties pursuant to the WSH code of conduct; establishing guidelines to the WSH Technical Director on the process for hearing and determining any reported offence pursuant to the WSH Code of Conduct.
Peter Von Reth, member of the Technical Committee said, “This is by far the most impressive line up for a technical committee. There is balanced representation of champion players and ace administrators from across the world to ensure the league sets new benchmarks in Hockey”
Ashish Balal, echoed the same sentiments and said, “The technical committee has over 100 years of collective experience in playing, managing and organizing hockey globally, across marquee events like the Olympics, Hockey World Cup and Champions Trophy. It is indeed an honour to be in such august company.”
Yannick Colaco, COO, Nimbus Sport added, “WSH is leaving no stone unturned in its commitment to bring on board the best talent in terms of players and administrators. The appointment of this distinguished technical committee, with their excellent track record in marquee hockey events globally is a key step towards setting the gold standard in sports league management.”
The WSH will be held from December 17, 2011 to January 22, 2012 and will involve 200 leading players -- Indian and international -- who will showcase their talent in 61 matches. It will be a multi-city franchise-based League with players being allocated to the teams based on the internationally accepted and practised ‘draft’ system.
The inaugural edition of the league will comprise eight teams out of Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Pune, Bhopal, Punjab, Ranchi and Rourkela. Some of the Indian stars who will be seen in action in WSH include Viren Rasquinha, Dhanraj Pillay, Rajpal Singh, Sandeep Singh, Adrian D’Souza, Sardara Singh, Prabhjot Singh, Arjun Halappa, Diwakar Ram, Bharat Chetri, Dhananjay Mahadik, Shivendra Singh, Mandeep Antil, S.V. Sunil, Roshan Minz, William Xalxo, Prabodh Tirkey and Yuvraj Walmiki.
The star studded line-up ensures the league will be vibrant and competitive, drawing the global spotlight on India.