India lose 1-5 to Great Britain, claim 4th position in World Hockey League Semi-Final

India Men Team in Antwerp Belgium 4 FILE PHOTOAntwerp (Belgium): India lost to Great Britain 5-1 and settled for 4th position in the FINTRO World Hockey League Semi-Final 2015, here on Sunday.

The game between Indian and Great Britain started with great speed and vigor, showcasing the intent to score the initial goal. It was Great Britain who in the 11th minute got a penalty corner and Alastair Brogdon did no mistake in finding the nets on the rebound shot which helped his team take the lead. Undeterred by the goal, India continued its attack on Great Britain as they looked for opportunities to score. But unable to capitalize, India trailed in the first quarter by 0-1.

The second quarter saw the same intent by the Indians as they maintained the pressure on Great Britain to score the much required equaliser goal. Unfortunately for India, Great Britain pierced through India’s defence through a long pass by Nick Catlin from outside the semicircle towards the goal box in the 27th minute and Chris Griffiths ensured that his touch on the ball went into the nets, leaving Sreejesh with no chance to react. With this goal, Great Britain doubled its lead to 2-0.

In the dying seconds of the quarter, India went on the attack again in the D of Great Britain as they looked to open its account. But unable to capitalize, the first half ended 2-0 in favor of Great Britain.

Four minutes into the third quarter, Chinglensana from the right flank passed the ball to Akashdeep Singh in the D and who on his part was slow in capitalizing on the good pass. In the 37th minute, India was seen again in the attack as a very good pass from Lalit Upadhyay to Ramandeep Singh in the D proved to be a golden chance for the latter. But the opponent goalie made a good save and this was followed by an immediate counter attack by Great Britain, giving Ashley Jackson to convert the easiest of goals.

Five minutes before the end of third quarter, Great Britain had another go at the penalty corner but this time Sreejesh did no mistake in clearing the danger. In the 42nd minute, there was another penalty corner for Great Britain and Adam Dixon finished the job as he deflected the ball into the goal box, taking the score to 4-0. This was closely followed by another brilliant field goal by Barry Middleton in the 44th minute and third quarter scores stood at 5-0 in their favor.

The fourth and final quarter saw the Indian team increasing its tempo as they continued putting pressure on the defence of Great Britain. Half way into the quarter, India had their first shot at the penalty corner and Jasjit Singh taking the flick was wide of the goal box. In the 56th minute, Great Britain got one more penalty corner to their name and Manpreet Singh running out of the goal box averted the danger through his stick.

Just a minute left into the game, India through a penalty corner opportunity saw Rupinder Pal Singh finding the nets giving the opponent goalie no chance to stop, taking the score to 1-5.

India lost the game 1-5, settling for the 4th position in the tournament.